The Carter Building, constructed in 1904, gets its name from John Prentiss Carter, who served as Mississippi lieutenant governor from 1904 to 1908. This six-story building was one of the first skyscrapers in Hattiesburg. In 1973, the building was renamed the Faulkner Building after Lewis Edward Faulkner, a businessman and owner of Faulkner Concrete.
According to Theodore Roosevelt, “Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering.” J. P. (John Prentiss) Carter is a name well worth remembering. Therefore, the name of his building on Main Street has been restored to the Carter Building.
The Carter Building is an example of the Commercial Style with decorative elements of Wright and the Prairie School. The building retains the characteristic turn of the century elements including flat and arched fenestration ornamented with dripstones and rock-faced masonry, cast iron columns and cornices. Restoration of this historic building ensures the survival of a great work of architecture and will contribute to the revitalization of downtown Hattiesburg.